In 1956, John (Jack) D. Paterson, P.Eng. and geologist, established a proprietorship to provide consulting engineering services to the greater Ottawa area in geology and in the growing discipline of geotechnics. Anticipating that there would be a need for such services locally was prophetic, and business was brisk and steady. In response to the demand, services were expanded solely from subsurface investigations into the associated broad categories of foundation failures, pavement structures, property evaluations and materials testing.
1959 to 1983
The period from 1959 to 1962 saw the inauguration of a building boom in Ottawa and the revitalization of the downtown core. It was a period of rapid change and expansion both for the construction industry and the Company. A materials testing laboratory was set up to test soils, concrete and asphalt. From 1962 to 1983, to accommodate expansion, offices and a separate laboratory were moved to new premises. Following the incorporation of the Company in 1964, the building science division was formed to deal with roofing and waterproofing issues. Temporary satellite laboratories were established in Smiths Falls and Kingston, Ontario.
1983 to 1990
In 1983, Jack Paterson retired while the Company continued its expansion with a further housing boom in the Ottawa area. The physical expansion of the Company allowed for the move to its present location in Ottawa (Nepean).
1990 to Present
Although environmental engineering had been carried out by the firm for several years, in 1990, the environmental division was officially formed to undertake a variety of assignments associated with growing environmental concerns. From its inception in 1990, this division has grown to become a significant part of the Company. The Paterson Group has established itself as a leader in environmental issues with respect to real estate transactions. In 1998, an office and laboratory was opened in North Bay to serve our northern clients.