Paterson Group, Canada’s oldest geotechnical engineering consulting firm, is recognized for our expertise in geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, archaeology, materials testing, and building sciences.
Customer service is our first priority. We provide professional services based on technological expertise, interactive project management, a wealth of local knowledge, and creative solutions.
Paterson Group is a consulting engineering firm long recognized for its expertise in geotechnical and environmental engineering, materials testing, and building sciences. Recently, we added an archaeological services section staffed with highly experienced professionals.
Since Paterson’s inception in 1956, the firm has been locally owned and operated. Our success is built on key philosophy of combining excellent customer service with common sense approach to engineering, what we call “solution oriented engineering“.
At Paterson Group, client service is our first priority. Communication throughout the lifetime of a project is essential for effective client relations. From proposal to completion, Paterson Group’s detailed project management, timely updates, stakeholder involvement, and friendly and knowledgeable staff ensures that our clients receive quality products tailored to your projects’ requirements. The quality of our personnel ensures client satisfaction and successful project implementation.
We provide high quality and efficient professional engineering services based on technological expertise, informed by our extensive catalogue of local knowledge from 60 years of operation in the Ottawa area.
1956 to 1959
In 1956, John (Jack) D. Paterson, P.Eng. and geologist, established a proprietorship to provide consulting engineering services to the greater Ottawa area in geology and in the growing discipline of geotechnics. Anticipating that there would be a need for such services locally was prophetic, and business was brisk and steady. In response to the demand, services were expanded solely from subsurface investigations into the associated broad categories of foundation failures, pavement structures, property evaluations and materials testing.
1959 to 1983
The period from 1959 to 1962 saw the inauguration of a building boom in Ottawa and the revitalisation of the downtown core. It was a period of rapid change and expansion both for the construction industry and the Company. A materials testing laboratory was set up to test soils, concrete and asphalt. From 1962 to 1983, to accommodate expansion, offices and a separate laboratory were moved to new premises. Following the incorporation of the Company in 1964, the building science division was formed to deal with roofing and waterproofing issues. Temporary satellite laboratories were established in Smiths Falls and Kingston, Ontario.
1983 to 1990
In 1983, Jack Paterson retired while the Company continued its expansion with a further housing boom in the Ottawa area. The physical expansion of the Company allowed for the move to its present location in Ottawa.
1990 to Present
Although environmental engineering had been carried out by the firm for several years, in 1990, the environmental division was officially formed to undertake a variety of assignments associated with growing environmental concerns. From its inception in 1990, this division has grown to become a significant part of the Company. Paterson Group has established itself as a leader in environmental issues with respect to real estate transactions. In 1998, an office and laboratory was opened in North Bay to serve our northern clients. In 2012, Paterson Group’s head office was moved to a new location at 154 Colonnade Road South to accommodate our growing business and to better serve our core clients.